Friday, June 6, 2008

Si, se fallecío

"Si, se fallecío" means "Yes, she has left (died)" which were the words I heard over and over last night. A neighbor of ours died last night of cancer, she was in her 80s and had been sick for some time. I did not know her because she was bedridden, but I knew the rest of the family. We found out around 8pm last night that she had passed away and that's when my entire night changed from ordinary to Nica Culture 101.

The whole family rushed home to change into black or white colors and my cousin was flipping out because she couldn't get home fast enough to change her red colored shirt..."es mal educación" (it shows bad education aka being rude). By 10pm about 50 people were sitting around the house in chairs or on the sidewalk. By 10:30 over 100 people were present and they brought in a truckload of chairs! By 11:00, people were handing out coffee and bread, the mayor's office was driving the truck around with the speakers annoucing my neighbor's death, a string of lights was put up over the street, and I was trying to take in the experience and finish my homework. It was amazing how fast word gets around in a small town and it was amazing how people sat around the house to show support for the family and respect for our neighbor. In little time the casket arrived and I believe they set up a viewing. I didn't get too close to the house because I was chatting with my family. My mama was very sad because our neighbor helped out my family after my mama's mom died 5 years ago. It's also a (catholic) tradition to wait outside the house until 4am in the morning if the person died at night, so about 20 people were still waiting at that time this morning. I myself went to bed around 1:30am, I had to get up early for seminars. Needless to say it was a very interesting night and now I know what to do if a person dies and I won't look mal educada.

Thank you to Jan and Doug Brown for more letters, to Mamow for another card and to Becca (who is in PC South Africa right now) for a great long letter! Everyone is jealous that I have gotten mail every single week :) The words that you all send make me feel more confident every day that I chose the right path for my life and that I am doing something worthwhile. Sometimes I get those "am I really living abroad" moments that seem surreal and I think I'm in a dream. Fact is, it is reality and I am here right now, living this life.

More fun news, volleyball season has began in my town! What does this mean? It means the pueblo has learned that this gringa can play pretty darn good! I played with my sisters for the first time on Sunday against another team of women from the town. We ended up losing, but what I ended up gaining was a reputation, new friends, and knowledge that even more people know my name around town. It doesn't hurt that I'm a couple inches (at least) taller than most of the girls here, and boys, and it also doesnt hurt that I'm frequently found at my mom's cafe right by the volleyball/basketball court. Every night that it didn't rain this week I played in pick up games and I was even asked by the Physical Ed teacher to put together a gringa team. In two Sundays my team of gringas (made up of other SBD trainees) will play another town team! It will be interesting because some of us havent played since Jr. High and others played in club volleyball in college. I think we'll do well since we are taller though! So, it's definately nice to have a "niche" in the town and be asked to come out to play!

Another thing that makes me smile every day is how people in town will say hi and call me by name, half the time I either can't remember their names or I have no clue who they are. The best is when the kids run across the park to say hi, or come and find me at home. Kids are so happy to just talk to me or to just throw a ball around. I forgot how much I enjoy working with all ages of children! My little cousin Ti-Tin (name is Pablo Juanito, but he goes by Ti-Tin...I can't remember why, another nickname) is obsessed with me ever since he discovered that I exist! He just turned 5 and he is never tired, even after running around for 4 hours with me last Saturday. Every day at 6am he asks his mom if he can come over to play with "la Katty" and when he has to leave my house he tries to make up an excuse so he can stay longer. His obsession even goes as far as to cry if I am talking or playing with other kids or my older cousins! He is adorable and I will put up a photo of us next time.

Coming up this week is a Volunteer Visit, so I will be traveling up north to visit a current PCV. It will be nice to have a 3 day break from training, from my town, etc. to see a real SBD volunteer in action! It will also be a great insight to life after training, as we are sort of in a "bubble" in our training towns.

The rain continues to fall hard and there is another tropical storm currently headed our way. I will be fine in the area where I'm headed to and it usually is not affected by storms very often. It's funny how I can now feel when the rain is coming, it gets really hot and humid and then BAM the storm rolls in! Thunder and lightning back home will be nothing anymore, because we get those every day here! And not just any thunder, the thunder that rocks the house because it's right above us and the cloud sometimes will just sit there, rumbling and waking me up at times!Grrr! It's fun though and luckily the rain isn't cold, though last week I did have to bundle up a bit in my bed. Course by 4am, it's hot again and I've thrown my covers off! With rain also comes more mosquitos and I've gotten my fair share of bites. They mostly like my feet and it's gotten better since I've been piling on the bug spray. Luckily I'm not one of those people who gets bit all the time, like one of my fellow trainees in town! Poor girl gets eaten up all the time! Even if she has long sleeves on!

Hope all is well in the states and that it's not too hot...right...oh, and Obama made the news even down here.

No comments: