
It’s 4am MT (May 30th) and I think I am experiencing my first major cultural misunderstanding. I know this is the first of many, but really…did it have to happen at 3am? Especially after not getting any sleep from the Hurricane from the night before? I was sleeping ever so peacefully, when I was awoken by men singing and playing the guitar outside the house. Today is Mother’s Day in Nica and my cousins decided to walk across the street (it’s still pouring rain at the moment) and sing for my mama very loudly! I’m not sure if she even heard it because I didn’t hear her get up or say anything. But I sure heard it! This is the part I don’t understand, why couldn’t they wait till like 6am or even lunchtime to sing? Wouldn’t mama get to enjoy it more that way? She cooks, cleans, washes, and prepares the food for the café, etc. all day long!!! Why would she want a serenade at 3am??? It’s really sweet to sing for your aunt and mother, but don’t wake them up because it’s convenient for you! Everyone only has to work a half day today! I just can’t get over the fact that they did it at 3am…nor can I even comprehend why. Don’t they want her to get a good night’s sleep? Maybe I’m overreacting because I was woken up and I’m sleep deprived, but then on the other hand I feel this is just another example of a machismo society. The men don’t really think about their actions towards women and I find this early morning serenade to be an example. However, I need to remember that I haven’t asked anyone in the family about the singing yet, so I need not jump to conclusions. Also, maybe it’s similar to when we wake our friends up early in the morning to take them out to breakfast. But 3am??? Who can enjoy the music that early?
After the serenade it started pouring harder and then the local band (made up of two trumpets, a sousaphone, a trombone, a bass drum, and a snare drum) started playing around 3:45am in the streets. All I can say now is, OMG, let the poor women have some good sleep for once! I just don’t understand and I’m pissy because I’m tired. So, I’m under my mosquito net in my bed, writing out my frustrations so maybe I can go back to sleep for 3 more hours, and praying the band will move to another side of the city. Three weeks in Nica and I’ve only just now experienced a major culture shock, not bad.
After the serenade it started pouring harder and then the local band (made up of two trumpets, a sousaphone, a trombone, a bass drum, and a snare drum) started playing around 3:45am in the streets. All I can say now is, OMG, let the poor women have some good sleep for once! I just don’t understand and I’m pissy because I’m tired. So, I’m under my mosquito net in my bed, writing out my frustrations so maybe I can go back to sleep for 3 more hours, and praying the band will move to another side of the city. Three weeks in Nica and I’ve only just now experienced a major culture shock, not bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment