So I think I forgot to mention a couple things in my last post that I wanted to highlight. First, the transportation strike ended a two weeks ago so we've already taken a couple buses here and there. They are very very tame compared to psycho Chilean buses!!! At least in my opionion. It's nice to not have to pay the driver right as you get on, instead there is a helper dude who walks down the aisles to collect money. Most rides cost about 5 Cordobas, which is about 25 cents U.S. and to get to Managua (the capital) is about 50 cents. The strike ended with the president lowering prices of gas by $1.30 for bus drivers and cab drivers. I'm not totally clear as to how it will help in the long run, but everyone seems to be happier.
Also, I wanted to mention that even though Nicaragua is the least dense population by land mass in Latin America, it is also the 2nd or 3rd poorest country after Haiti and/or Honduras (it depends where you acquire the statistics). About 2.3 million people of 45% of the population live on less than $2 per day. I have not seem this extreme poverty yet, as I live in a pretty moderate town, but I am certain I will be experiencing this poverty frequently after training. Another startling fact is that 70% of the Nica population is under 30! Hence why PC is focusing on the youth of today, to hopefully give young entrepernuers a small push to become small and medium business owners.
I'll write more later, oh and the rainy season has offically arrived! It rained for over 7 hours yesterday....ugh.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment